YOU ARE AN OBJECT TO ME
Charlotte Bouckaert turns her gaze onto daily life in YOU ARE AN OBJECT TO ME. Her question: how can we challenge the ideas of stillness and immobility that surround objects? Because, in the painter’s workshop the objects might be motionless, but in his painting they move.
The classical still life painting is sometimes defined as the world without a plot, or more precisely, as a world that does not elicit a curiosity for stories. In that definition, there is no sense of drama. This renders the term ‘still life’ paradoxical, because life implies movement.
But a still life is not about lifeless objects or about the absolute stillness of a world without human meaning, according to arts and architecture philosopher Bart Verschaffel. He says: “In the painter’s workshop the objects might be motionless, but in his painting they move.”
After her last creation 11 SECONDS, in which she let audiences stare at a photo of a museum for an hour in a playful thought experiment about art, Charlotte Bouckaert now turns her gaze onto daily life in YOU ARE AN OBJECT TO ME. Her question: how can we challenge the ideas of stillness and immobility that surround objects?
Charlotte Bouckaert has been developing a visual language on the cusp of visual arts and live performance for a decade now. By staging images as a changing process, she invites her audience to become aware of the impact of their own observation. Her work takes various shapes, including plays, performances, installations, and video.
- Concept & mise en scène: Charlotte Bouckaert
- Performance: Marie De Corte
- Dramaturgy: Bart Van Den Eynde
- Technical execution: Stan Wannet
- Music composition: Nicolas Roseeuw
- Light design: Harry Cole
- Costume design: Lieve Pynoo
PRODUCTION / COPRODUCTION / SUPPORT
- Production: Platform 0090
- Coproduction: KVS, KAAP, C-Takt, Perpodium, Playground (STUK & M, Leuven)
- Supported by: the Arts Decree of the Flemish Government, the Tax Shelter measure of the Belgian Federal Government
- Thank you: Kunstenwerkplaats Pianofabriek
- Duration: 60 min
- No language